Sunday, December 4, 2011

Billy Elliot in English and Korean

Hey! This is Linda! This past May I took 'Theatre in London', when my class watched 15 plays over 3 weeks with our professor. We saw 2 musicals, one of my favorites is Billy Elliot.
BILLY ELLIOT!
OY DANCER BOY!
It is an amazing musical. The kids were amazing in singing, dancing and acting. The Billy we saw totally grasped everyone's heart during his solo performances, whether he was singing, ballet, or tap. He was vibrant with energy and power and moved everyone to tears.
But, I'm not going to write a review here.
I'm making a sort of comparison between the Billy Elliot in English and the Billy Elliot in Korean. Korea did their version of Billy Elliot in Korean with all Korean cast and they incorporated some Korean dancing into Billy's dance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYQHB3rJHkc
...
and this is the English one, with one of the older Billies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nij6ZSAiOI8
So I think that the difference is that the Korean Billies have more solid dancing skills. Their dancing look more practiced and powerful. Maybe this is due to the longer rehearsal time for the Korean Billies and the more emphasis on techniques. Not that the British Billies aren't good! They are good! Awesome! But it's just a little difference I've noticed.
Have fun listening to more Billy Elliot songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment