Sunday, March 11, 2012

IT"S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL



No. DISNEY"S RACIST AFTER ALL.
It's a small world has always been my favorite ride in Disney since I went to Disney in France when I was 3.
I was really excited about going on the ride when I was in Orlando last week. So my friends and I did.
And BAM racism!
:/
We, fellow Disney-lovers grew up with THiS. When we were kids, we went on this ride and our parents told us, 'Look, Africa!', 'Look, that's what people do in Japan!' and planted the seed of over-generalization ad racism and ignorance in our adorable, young minds.
Oh yes.
I know that this is a Disney ride and it's meant to be happy and happy and happy and positive. And it's supposed to show little kids a view of the world. Except the representation of the world isn't quite right. I know that they(Disney authority) want to show the exquisite, exotic and I-can't-think-of-an-appropriate-ex-word part of every culture. They want to show they kids what the other cultures have that Americans don't have. Broaden their horizons.
Well that they did.
But it would be great if after so many years they can update it a little and show more similarities than differences across all cultures. Ya! In the last room that's meant to be 'the world'. Don't paint it all white! What are you trying to say, Disney?
Or is that me being too sensitive to these things?
Oh, and what I find particularly racist are the 2 BOWING JAPANESE DOLLS at the end of the Asia Room. THEY JUST KEEP BOWING AT YOU AS YOUR BOAT LEAVES THE ROOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment