Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -George Santayana

Welcome to the Official “It’s a Small World: Globalization Through the Ages” Blog.  We intend, through a variety of mediums (blogposts, seminars, etc) to convey how various historical topics and trends are necessary for understanding phenomena as large as the Global Village we live in today, and our own private lives.

This blog will showcase our research, events, and day-to-day discoveries. As a gr
oup of ten eleven individuals, we’ll be combining our skills and interests to provide you with knowledge about historical trends and their worldwide tendencies.

Cast:
Samantha: This year, I’ll be joining forces with Rachael and studying the globalization of food. Yes, this is an excuse to eat. It’s also quenching my endless curiosity pertaining to where everything that I eat originates. I mean, who came up with the idea of pink lemonade? Why have all the cafes on campus started serving paninis instead of sandwiches? I need answers.
Rachael: I love cats. I love every kind of cat. I just want to hug all of them, but I can't! Can't hug every cat.
Linda: I'm from Hong Kong and I'd lived in Germany for a year when I was in kindergarten. I'm a child studies major and possibly double-majoring in special education. I love kids. I love every one of them. I just want to hug all of them, and I can!
Bryce:  I have trained for a year and a half in mixed martial arts and am the president of the Vanderbilt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club.  I will cover the expansion of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from its origin in Judo martial arts taught in Japan to its international recognition.
Frances: I am a Child Development and Cognitive Studies Major. I am interested in learning how the brain works, and I love babies! Also, I am originally from Nairobi, Kenya but have lived in the U.S. since 1999. Hamsters are cool, too. I’m also a scorpio and enjoy long walks in the park ;) hehe
Patrick Eads: A math and computer science major (that is also very sensitive). I enjoy the analytical and philosophical sides of history as we study intellectual movements that resulted in world change. "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9
Luke Miksanek: I'm currently an undecided major, but as a matter of fact, I'm leaning towards history or classical studies. I enjoy movies, junk food, and anything considered old-fashioned.
John Sims-Jones: I’m double majoring in anthropology and Spanish. Throughout the project I will be focusing on patterns of global conquest, with a special focus on the Spanish conquest of Mexico.

Jose Rodriguez: Hello, World. I'm Jose Rodriguez, and I'm studying Mechanical Engineering. I live in the Cave, and I ride a bike that has a human name.
Xaralambos Papadatos: Ξέρετε τι είσαστε; Ανόιτι. Εντάξη, δέν είσαστε, άλλα δέν θα σας αγγαλιάσω. Anyway, I'm Double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and Electrical engineering. An avid fan of Lovecraft, Valve, and lurking, I will be examining how trade has affected globalization, and what effect it may have in the future.
Nell: Dzień dobry i pozdrowienie z Polsce! I'm majoring in anthropology. I'm that crazy girl who decided to study abroad the minute I finished my first year, so I'm in Poland! Expect to see current examples of globalization from me, as well as some stuff on the USSR and its effects on the world, specifically Eastern Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment